About Us

COMPANY OVERVIEW

Petrojam is a limited liability company and is Jamaica’s only petroleum refinery. Petrojam Ltd is 100% owned by the Government of Jamaica.

Petrojam supplies a full range of domestic, transportation and industrial petroleum products. We also operate a laboratory which provides quality control and certification services for petroleum products manufactured and imported by the refinery. Laboratory service is also provided to Jamaican businesses and the scientific community.

 

HISTORY

ESSO built the ESSO Kingston Refinery in March 1964 and operated the refinery for 18 years. It was then sold to the Government of Jamaica in 1982 and established as Petrojam Limited.  Later in 2006, the Government of Jamaica sold 49% of its shares to PDV Caribe S.A. of Venezuela and the remaining 51% of the company owned by the Government of Jamaica through the government’s state agency, Petroleum Corporation of Jamaica (PCJ).  

In 2019 the Government of Jamaica reacquired the 49% share held by Venezuela through ‘The Compulsory Acquisition (shares in Petrojam Limited) Act 2019’ which was enacted on February 22, 2019. The legislation vests the forty nine percent (49%) shareholding previously held by PDV Caribe S.A., in the Accountant General of Jamaica which is in trust for the Government of Jamaica with effect from February 22, 2019.

OUR PRODUCTS

Petrojam operates a 35,000 barrel per day hydro-skimming refinery, to produce Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG); Gasoline; Kerosene/Jet Fuel; Automotive Diesel Oil (ADO); Heavy Fuel Oil (HFO); Very Low Sulphur Fuel Oil (VLSFO); and Asphalt. Both grades of unleaded gasoline (90 and 87 R+M/2) contain 10% Ethanol. Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel (ULSD) is imported so that the company can supply the market demand.

The company focuses primarily on meeting the needs of the national market, and does this through a mix of refining and importation of finished products. Customers served include the Power Producers; Aircraft Refueling; Multinational and Local Marketing companies. We are resolute in our commitment to deliver high quality products on schedule to the complete satisfaction of our customers.

 

ENVIRONMENT AND SAFETY

As a company, we take great pride in maintaining high standards for quality; health and safety; and environmental protection. Our persistent efforts to improve on our safe work environment continue to show good results. We have reduced or loss time incidents and have had no incidents resulting in loss of life.

Petrojam cares about the community and strives to play a part in nation building; we are proud of our contribution to the surrounding communities especially in the areas of health and education.

 

OUR PEOPLE

Our success is driven by our people and their focus on delivering results by operating safely and executing responsibly. The General Manager leads the team which is organized into the departments of Logistics and Marketing; Production; Safety, Environment & Quality; Maintenance & Reliability; Finance and Accounts; Human Resource Development & Administration and Strategic Planning & Business Support. Petrojam is staffed by approximately 242 highly skilled employees, deployed to the various departments; our talent pool includes engineers, technicians and administrative support staff.

The General Manager is responsible for daily management of the refinery; however the ultimate internal authority is the Board of Directors. The Board is comprised of an equal number of seven directors.

 

BUSINESS STRATEGY

Our business strategy is focused on positioning the company for long term survival and competitiveness through initiatives to diversify product mix in keeping with energy policy mandate, increase operational efficiencies in all processes; improve risk management systems and retain a talented and high performance team.